Back to School With The HistoryMakers
Education : BTS sub-menu
The goals of our Back To School With The HistoryMakers program are to put Black Leaders (our HistoryMakers) in direct contact with young people all across the nation and to:
- Encourage commitment to student achievement, parental involvement, increased test scores, high school graduation, and successful college entry and matriculation.
- Respond to the Obama Administration’s call for service in a real and meaningful way.
- Bring African American leaders into schools to see things firsthand and speak to and hopefully motivate students directly.
- Bring additional resources into the public school systems such as The HistoryMakers digital archive (thmdigital.thehistorymakers.com) of oral history interviews.
- Raise awareness of the achievements of accomplished African Americans in their local communities.
The program began in 2010 with 200 HistoryMakers in 107 Schools in 50 Cities in 25 States. In 2011 the program more than doubled - bringing 458 HistoryMakers into 286 Schools in 112 Cities in 35 States. 2011 Participating HistoryMakers ranged in age from 40 to 100 years old and represented a diverse range of professional backgrounds; from artists, musicians, and business leaders to politicians, religious leaders, and scientists.
Participants included Senior Advisor to President Obama Valerie Jarrett, Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick, former Ambassador Andrew Young, rapper Common, and singer Florence LaRue.
Another goal of the Back To School With The HistoryMakers program is to create synergy with other organizations and institutions that are committed to our youth. 2011 Partners included:
- The Alabama State Department of Education & the Alabama Department of Archives and History
- The Chicago Tribune
- The District of Columbia College Access Program (DC-CAP)
- The Faison Firehouse Respect Project
- The Illinois Network of Charter Schools
- The Mayme A. Clayton Library and Museum
- The National Education Association
The 4th Annual Back To School With The HistoryMakers program will be held on Friday, September 27, 2013.