The National Science Foundation awarded The HistoryMakers a 3-year grant to interview 180 of the nation's top African American scientists, create curriculum based on the interviews and hold public programs featuring the scientists. The goal of the ScienceMakers initiative is to create positive role models and use their life stories as a way to encourage others to enter scientific professions.
Youtube Terms and Conditions
Education : Youtube Contest sub-menu
1. By participating, contestants agree to the ScienceMakers YouTube Oral History Contest Guidelines described in this document.
2. The HistoryMakers acquires the rights to use all submitted videos for promotional purposes, including, but not limited to, such mediums as the Internet, printed or electronic marketing materials, and DVDs for sale. No royalties will be paid to the video creators on proceeds of DVD sales; however, video creators retain their rights to use, distribute and sell and their own videos without restrictions. Winning contestants will be asked to sign a waiver regarding these terms.
3. Void outside of the United States and where prohibited, taxed, or restricted by law. All federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply.
4. Videos must not contain identifying information about any person, including the entrant. Identifying information includes last name, phone number, address or email.
5. Each contestant may only submit one (1) video.
6. Winners failing to respond in a timely manner to notification of winning, or who fail to sign the waiver in a timely manner, will forfeit their prize. If a prize is forfeited, the judges will choose an alternate winner.
7. Contestants must only submit their own original work; videos must not violate copyright or intellectual property rights. Videos must also not be inappropriate, defamatory or libelous.
8. Contestants agree to indemnify and hold The HistoryMakers, its assigns and licensees harmless from and against any and all third party claims, actions or proceedings of any kind and from any and all damages, liabilities, costs, and expenses relating to or arising out of any breach or alleged breach of any of the warranties, representations, or agreements of contestants hereunder.
9. By participating in this contest, winners irrevocably grant The HistoryMakers, its assigns and licensees the right to use such winner’s name, likeness, biographical information, and video in any and all media for any purpose, including without limitation, advertising and/or promotional purposes as well as in, on or in connection with The HistoryMakers’ website or other promotions, throughout the universe, in perpetuity, by means of any and all media and device whether now known or hereafter devised and hereby release The HistoryMakers from any liability with respect thereto.
1. As a YouTube account holder you may submit Content to the Service, including videos and user comments. You understand that YouTube does not guarantee any confidentiality with respect to any Content you submit.
2. You shall be solely responsible for your own Content and the consequences of submitting and publishing your Content on the Service. You affirm, represent, and warrant that you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to publish Content you submit; and you license to YouTube all patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights in and to such Content for publication on the Service pursuant to these Terms of Service.
3. For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in your Content. However, by submitting Content to YouTube, you hereby grant YouTube a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the Content in connection with the Service and YouTube's (and its successors' and affiliates') business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Service (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels. You also hereby grant each user of the Service a non-exclusive license to access your Content through the Service, and to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform such Content as permitted through the functionality of the Service and under these Terms of Service. The above licenses granted by you in video Content you submit to the Service terminate within a commercially reasonable time after you remove or delete your videos from the Service. You understand and agree, however, that YouTube may retain, but not display, distribute, or perform, server copies of your videos that have been removed or deleted. The above licenses granted by you in user comments you submit are perpetual and irrevocable.
4. You further agree that Content you submit to the Service will not contain third party copyrighted material, or material that is subject to other third party proprietary rights, unless you have permission from the rightful owner of the material or you are otherwise legally entitled to post the material and to grant YouTube all of the license rights granted herein.
5. You further agree that you will not submit to the Service any Content or other material that is contrary to the YouTube Community Guidelines, currently found at http://www.youtube.com/t/community_guidelines, which may be updated from time to time, or contrary to applicable local, national, and international laws and regulations.
6. YouTube does not endorse any Content submitted to the Service by any user or other licensor, or any opinion, recommendation, or advice expressed therein, and YouTube expressly disclaims any and all liability in connection with Content. YouTube does not permit copyright infringing activities and infringement of intellectual property rights on the Service, and YouTube will remove all Content if properly notified that such Content infringes on another's intellectual property rights. YouTube reserves the right to remove Content without prior notice.